Specializing in soft tissue injury, pain, musculoskeletal dysfunction….as well as therapeutic massage for wellness.
Functional Massage Therapy using the most effective techniques to:
- Release restrictive tissue
- Decompress joints
- Break the pain cycle
- Enhance post trauma recovery
- Improve joint mobility
- Realign the body
- Improve soft tissue health
- Enhance muscle coordination
Call Joanne and schedule an appointment. You won’t be disappointed! +1.860.803.2859
Physical therapists are movement specialists. In sports medicine, a physical therapist is most expert in helping the person to work through the injury, understand why the area was vulnerable for injury and to be able to give the person strategies as to avoid the injury again. PT’s are a big part in the journey to recovery.
Sports medicine encompasses:
- the injury (including surgery by an orthopedic surgeon)
- understanding of the healing process to get the person back to using the area of injury
- how it fits into the puzzle of why it was injured, to begin with
- transitioning the person back to the sport and beyond (using the ICAN program) if they choose to continue
Programs like ICAN take the person after the injury or after a biomechanical assessment (injury prevention) and bring them to the next level to address:
- Balanced strength in the muscles (example biceps/triceps)
- To increase the responsiveness of the muscle (contracts quicker)
- To address the energy system of the sport you are performing (aerobic sport vs anaerobic sport like weight lifting)
- To address whether strength training will impede or enhance the sport such as running
- Educate the athlete on what is appropriate for them according to their body type, sports technique, and workout
- Identify alignment issues of the pelvis trunk, shoulders and feet and how they need to work together to perform a multi-planar movement (like a baseball pitch or golf swing)
- Identify the relationship between good diaphragmatic breathing, ability to rotate the trunk and endurance in the sport (for golf, baseball, soccer, running etc)
Sports Medicine Evaluation and Programs Canton CT
Contact our specialists to start your journey to better performance today!
Integrating Correction with Alignment in Neutral | I.C.A.N. Sports Medicine Canton CT
Injury Prevention Programs
Injury prevention? Who wants to think about injuries when you are enjoying your sport? As an athlete or avid exercise buff injury can stop you from doing what you love. If a simple flexibility or alignment self-check can prevent this from happening, why risk it? As physical therapists we see how an injury can impact not only the sport you are enjoying now but impact movement in the future. Can we predict all injuries? No, but we can identify areas that might be at risk. Our evaluation defines all the areas that commonly get injured in your sport or activity. If you are having pain, let us check you out! The painful area is usually the victim of poor muscle balance, joint alignment, foot mechanics or from insufficient recruitment from previous injuries.
Come in a schedule an appointment. You won’t be disappointed!
D.A.N.S.E Approach to Enhance Performance
Dance is the physical manifestation of a rhythm or musical score. It presents as graceful movement that evokes emotion and enjoyment in all who participate. From the scientific point of view, it is a crescendo of synergies and kinesiology in an aligned pattern for a strong performance.
How do we accomplish both? Having the aesthetically pleasing look is key but accomplishing these difficult movements in good form prevent injuries so that all can enjoy dance for a long time.
Here at the D.A.N.S.E. Approach we have compiled science in a program that addresses dynamic alignment using the innate sequences of muscle firing to create a balance for maximum performance ability. We take the corrections that you hear in class and identify what is causing the need for correction. The area that is being corrected is generally not the cause but the effect.
Knowing your body is important because it helps you to make proper decisions in your dance career. What may be good for one person may not be good for you.
At the D.A.N.S.E. Approach we strive to educate the dancer from a “whole body” perspective as it pertains to dance movement. We have workshops on the foot, hip, pelvis and shoulder complex that identify problem areas. Addressing weaknesses and alignment issues can prevent injuries.
Contact us if you have any questions so you can continue to enjoy dancing and maximize your potential!
Senior Balance and Fall Prevention
Are you having difficulty walking on uneven surfaces? Feeling like you are out of balance? Are you limiting your activities outside? Balance is a combination of strength, body alignment, range of motion, visual changes, injury or orthopedic history. If you have had a recent surgery or injury, why not let us check out how it has impacted your balance so that you can enjoy all the activities you love.
Come in today and have us evaluate you!